2.12.08

Gift Giving Thoughts

I got this e-mail from one of my good teaching girly friends (we taught at the same high school in California) and I really liked what she had to say. So, with her permission, I want to share her message with you.
From My Friend, Princess Dee...
I just watched the film "What Would Jesus Buy"? and am convinced...so, this Christmas our little family will shop consciously...nothing from mega stores or malls...nothing from foreign countries that do not have union representation...nothing unsustainable- and we will be focusing on shopping not only locally, but buying goods from local artists and craftspeople, "things to do" tickets/gift certs for plays, events, restaurants, museums, etc...things we can enjoy together.

I'm just so sick of feeling overwhelmed by the holidays and of the debt and guilt (over who is making the stuff and how they are treated) that comes with it all. We don't have to do it, we really don't. I think it will make Christmas and Christmas shopping more enjoyable- being able to have our limited Christmas funds go directly to the people who create the products/services. Anyone care to join us? Even if you aren't interested--pass it on, maybe this idea can make someone else's Christmas more enjoyable and true.

Thank you so much Dee for sharing this EXCELLENT idea. May it make all of us think a little more about our gift giving!

Where to Start: One of my favorite websites these days is Esty.com. It is a site specifically set up for people from all walks of life to sell their handmade goods. This site gives me sheer browsing pleasure. However, if you're not looking for something specific, the search can be a little overwhelming. If you haven't ever taken the opportunity to browse Etsy.com, I highly recommend doing so. Start by typing something like handbags or vintage earrings in the search box and you're on your way! Here are some things I am currently eyeing on the site:




I really do hope you'll take some time this year to put a little extra thought into your gifts~no pressure right?:D One of my favorite ideas is gift certificates to local things in the area. Also, if you aren't a Martha Stewart, it's always great to support those who are trying to be!

Happy Holiday shopping from Mrs. Princess Pookie!

P.S. Since my post from yesterday, I can't seem to get my mind off THESE shoes (dark silver-yesterday I thought I wanted black). I'm obsessing over them! I really need to get a life and end my on-line browsing and go clean my bathroom! Can Mrs. Claus put a gift for herself under the tree?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Mrs. Santa CAN put a gift under the tree for herself. If she doesn't, she runs the risk of only coming up with paper-crafted-at-school gifts. ***Not that those are BAD or a disappointment....*** But..... You HAVE to have shoes on your feet, right?

We love Princess Dee's idea. Last Easter, the Easter Bunny brought gift certificates in plastic eggs to our house instead of enough candy for a small country. My kids LOVED it! We got bowling GC's, a restaurant GC, a ice cream GC, Lava Hot Springs GC's (we go *often*), movie GC's, etc. All those things fit great in a stocking or in a cute ornament that appears magically on the tree Christmas morning. (Or tied to something heavy and wrapped in a ginormous box - hee hee!!) I decided that it is better to make a memory than slowly turn diabetic. We got to spread out our Easter fun over several weekends instead of have a race to see who could stuff the most peeps in their mouths at once. And shouldn't celebrations be all about FAMILY anyway?

{Erica} said...

you know I love me some Etsy :)

also I have those shoes flagged as well..no surprise there...we DO have great taste :)