4.3.09

Munchie Time!

GOOD BYE!
Got the urge to splurge? STOP and read below before you invade the cookie jar!
Grab-n-Go
Any fruit!
pretzels
string cheese
Kashi products (love the coconut fudge bar)
dry cereal
mini carrots-my sister can eat these things by the handful. Me...just don't like em!
dried fruit and nuts
rice cakes-my kids like the mini carmel ones
whole grain crackers

My advice...always be prepared to tame the growling tummy. The last minute drive through french fries will just make you angry at yourself!

Other Yummies...
Applesauce w/Cinnamon (Trader Joes sells a killer applesauce!)
Graham crackers and milk
Yoplait french vanilla yogurt pored over mini fruit bowl
Peaches and cottage cheese
Baked chips and salsa (I cut up tortillas and bake them)
Potato Fries-cut up potatoes, spay cooking sheet with Pam, salt potatoes and bake for 15 min. @ 425.
Low-fat microwave popcorn (we like low-fat kettle corn)
Cut up cucumbers and low-fat dip-my son totally digs this
Peanut butter and....

apple
banana
celery
whole grain toast

Sweet Attack:
Pretzels dipped in a tad of chocolate
graham crackers w/ choco. frosting
Yoplait's new smoothie mix at Costco. Add a banana! Delicious!
chocolate pudding
glass of low fat chocolate milk-whole chocolate milk is "Oh so good" but it will kill you!:)
Dryer's fruit pops (love these!)
Red Vine licorice
Cinnamon bears
sherbet or sorbet
frozen yogurt topped with raspberries
Vanilla wafers, animal crackers, gingersnaps
Angel food cake w/strawberries & non-fat whipped topping



Out and About Grabs: Have you ever tried Red Mango? It is my absolute all time FAVORITE treat! In fact, I'm ready to go right now! Wanna join? It's so worth the road trip! I LOVE the berry topper at Jamba Juice (400 calories and 10g fat but soooo much more filling than a candy bar!) The new oatmeal there is awfully tasty too! Veggie Subway sandwich, always on wheat bread and watch out for high fat dressing! Chicken chili at Taco Time (thanks Peeps!) and regular chili at Wendy's. Um....when at the dreaded Mcy Dee's I generally go for the kids hamburger (no onions!) and the banana I grabbed before I left home. And of course a stolen french fry or two from my kids. However, anymore my kids prefer the apple dippers. Good choice kids! Sometimes I'll splurge and get the grilled "premium" (now that's an oxy moron-premium & McDonald's?!) classic chicken sandwich but I'd rather spend money on shoes than food so I stick with the .89 cent kids burger, my banana and a vanilla cone or yogurt parfait to satisfy my sweet tooth. I don't mind the GRILLED snack wraps either-they're just okay though. I'm not a fan of Taco Bell but I will choke down their been & cheese burritos. You know, anymore I pack lunch if I'm going to be out and about around the noon hour!

Date Night: When it comes to eating out with girlfriends or my Prince Charming I eat what I want from the menu. If I'm going to pay high prices I want a great meal that I'm in the mood for. NOTE: If you are trying to kick the weight, you cannot do this liberally! You must stay good! In turn, eating out won't be fun any more and you'll end up staying home and spending your money on cool workout clothes at Lululemon!:) However, I do still do my best to make good choices. I almost always only eat 1/2 of what they bring out and will substitute salad for fries. I NEVER order burgers with bacon or cheese and I always ask for the dressing on the side
P.S. I have a love affair with onion rings!

Bookmark ME! Every time I need a recipe I generally go to THIS site. I really like it because it includes all the nutritional info. and I have yet to make something I didn't like. My next taste test will be THIS~fun!

Hmm...What's for dinner? Have you tried the new whole grain pancake mix at Costco? (Forgetting the name right now. It's in a bag with scrumptious looking pancakes on the front). It is fantastic and loaded with fiber. We top ours with applesauce or strawberries. Serve with an egg and a glass of milk! Viola! Dinner is served! Funny....I don't like to eat like this for breakfast but it sure is tasty for supper!

Two healthy brands we enjoy: Anything Kashi (click to get a FREE frozen food entree) and Amy's organic.

Happy Snacking! Remember....it's all about CHOICE!

3 comments:

Jenette said...

I made a fruit salsa and cinnamon tortilla chips for the Iron Chef challenge and it was a big hit.

Shana Eberhard said...

Skinny Cow makes a fat-free chocolate milk that is undetectable from full fat milk, AMAZING!! I've only seen it at safeway.

Lauri said...

Check out this site http://www.smashies.com/?page_id=3
and let me know what you think. They are a little spendy but would be interesting to try. I can't remember where I saw them at.
I agree it is all about choices. Really for this whole week! Nice blog, I liked the choices that you gave...