13.1.09

A Bag Of Chips~Fat Free!

I LOVE COLOR!
I went shopping for paint chips yesterday and the best part...FREE! It's really quite silly how excited I get over mini colored pieces of cardstock. What can I say...I am definitely NOT afraid of color. You know, they say your wardrobe very much so mimics your home style. Totally true! Anyway, It never ceases to amaze me what a fresh coat of paint can do to a room, a piece of furniture, well...anywhere really! It also never ceases to amaze me how many people choose NOT to utilize paint as a decorating base. We have lived in our current house just over a year now. It's about 30 yrs old and when we bought it we knew we'd need A LOT, let me repeat A LOT of patience. We've had to gut, rip out and strip down SO much it's been ridiculous! Needless to say, our home projects have been more than overwhelming but day by day, piece by piece, paycheck by paycheck, we have our fingers crossed that some day we'll end up with a really great house. Someday! (probably just in time for us to sell! Isn't that the way it works?) Here is a little peek at our old {brand new} house we use to live. Yes, I know, I know, it looks somewhat like a freakin Pottery Barn Catalog. NOTE: Unless I absolutely LOVE IT, PB is too expensive so I just steal all the ideas from the catalog and find my own less expensive version. I have gotten some great stuff from e-bay, the close-out section from my local furniture store and Costco. If you live in Utah or Idaho you've got Down East Home~jealous! AND...I love to paint.




In our new {old} house my style has changed a bit. I'm certainly still coveting my PB catalog but I'm digging the more vintageish look. Is that what you call it? I don't' know. I'm loving robin egg blues, rich turquoises, shalaque (I have no idea how to spell that!) and I painted my ginormous coffee table pink. Oh ya, and red will always be considered a neutral in my house. I won this dainty little birdie painting at an auction and it has given me some inspiration. Funny thing, I use to despise birds ( my mom doubly despises them) but now they're my friends.


This is the next project on my list. Painting my fireplace. I'm sure you antique lover's want to kick my butt for wanting to paint this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy antiques very much but, I enjoy them even more dressed in quirky colors! I might go avacado greenish or puttyish. Then distress it of course. I'll be sure to post a pic of the finished project. You'll have to give me some time though. It's not unusual for me to go through 3 different colors before I find the perfect match!

FYI: picked up this mag. at Lowes yesterday. It's a great one. Lots of fun ideas. Totally digging the lime green awning striped couch on the front.






Did you know you can buy paint "auditions" at Lowes. For around $4 you can get a mini can of ANY color you want. LOVE them! I've bought a rainbow of brands of paint and I seem to always go back to Lowes. Princesses...paint is cheap. Add a little color to your life. You'll enjoy it!

P.S. THIS is one of my fav. design shows.

5 comments:

Lauri said...

Funny, yesterday as I was painting my bed I was thinking of doing a post on painting your furniture. To put some new life back into something old. Funny huh? I must admit you are a bit more adventurous than I am but I'm not too far behind you! BTWI'm pretty sure I need the B&W jar next to your bird!

Anonymous said...

I love being at the top of the food chain. :) My ex-husb was a white-wall-lover/decorating chicken. (gaghurl) His loss...

Princess Aarika has a sky instead of bedroom walls in her royal boudoir. (Very pale blue walls with glazed sponged wispy white clouds.) I have a carpenter friend who helped me refinish her dark antique poster-bed with a eggshell distressed finish. Caleb sleeps under water ala Cap'n Jack Sparrow. After painting the ginormous waves on his walls, I'll never be fearful of dark color again. I'm still working on his bed, I picked up his headboard and footboard for $20 at a garage sale. It's black. He calls his bed The Black Pearl. haha!!!

FUN is going to the store for ((something else)) and coming home with a freshly mixed can of paint. That's how my family room ended up avocado. *grin* It's so cozy......

Sara said...

LOVE that you are blogging about your decor ideas....now I can start getting inspired again!

Almost started crying when I saw pics of 29th Ave. ALMOST, but didn't-I just miss you guys!

I had my painter (AKA Shawn) paint the kiddos bathroom a limeish green....love it! Thought of you actually!
LET'S SET A DATE SOON!!!!!!! PUH-LEASE:) Hi to Jer!

Anonymous said...

QUICK!!! RUN - don't walk! - to Target! I was just there tonight, shopping for random things *I can't live w/o* (lol) and I saw a pink OWL soap dispenser, with red hearts on his tummy. I totally thought of you. :)

They have all their Valentine's stuff out at our Target. I love all the red and pink hearts. They make me happy.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing and inspiring!! My hubby and I had our home built over 3 years ago...and in great need of paint on the walls..white and oak colored wood work. We are in need of color and now that I am a stay at home mom...I shall look into more color...isn't that what stay at home moms do besides take care of the kids?