12.1.09

Trendy Tuesday...For The Utility Closet!

Fact is, EVERY household must include an ironing board and a broom (unless you're living in a bachelor pad!)~right? Well, going along with my '09 "renew" theme I found this fabulous ironing board cover at TJ Maxx {$12.99} the other day. Passed the shoes, only took a quick peek at the accessories and came home with something fairly practical. Practical???~you may be asking. Yes! For me this one replaced a nasty blue plaid one that had been living on my board since my college days. Stained, torn and begging to be retired. And as silly as this sounds, as I performed the dreadful ironing deed, I have to say my new cover made it a bit more refreshing. Pair it with pretty smelling spray (BTW: TJ Maxx carries lots of yummy smelling sprays as well!) and the gruelling task, well still sucks but... smells pretty! Feeling extra crafty? Go HERE to make your own cover. OR drop in to Target and pick yourself up THIS.


A fashionable ironing board for a fashionable diva.
I guess if I were a true diva I wouldn't have to do my own ironing!
THIS is the cutest little iron I've ever seen!

My favorite laundry tools:
Bleach~Fresh Meadow & Bleach Pens
Three Tips I've used to remove stains from my FASHIONS...

Chewing Gum~ To remove chewing gum from clothing, start by scraping away as much as possible. Rub the stain with ice. The ice will harden the gum and you should be able to pick the gum from the fabric. Treat any remaining gum residue by placing the stained item between white blotting paper. Iron over the blotter and change the blotter as it becomes soiled. Use a sponge containing a spot remover and blot the area.

Crayon Stains~You can use WD-40 to remove crayon stains from fabric or walls. Simply spray WD-40 on both sides of the crayon stain and allow the solution to sit for 5 minutes. Rinse the item thoroughly then rub dishwashing liquid into the stained area with a clean cloth. The crayon stain should bleed away. For fabric stains, wash the item in the hottest water that the stain can tolerate. And...buy "washable" crayons next time!


Permanent Marker~ (on any surface) Spray with aerosol hairspray. It's a miracle! On clothing, repeat and wash several times until gone. Lucy hit one of her shirts pretty bad with permanent marker. This totally worked!

The Fun Broom!
If I were a witch I'd totally be digging this!
TJ Maxx {$6.99}

What's next? New dishtowels...ICK!
Conclusion: A spicy utility closet and/or laundry room can be fun! They get used all the time so why not make it pretty?! You deserve it! Mine's eventually going to be pink and black! The one in my old house was lime green polka dotted with watermelon colored trim. CRAZYISH!
P.S. I did a 3 garbage bag Goodwill dump, a 2 bag neighbor hand-me-down dump AND a 5 bag consignment shop dump. Feels great! However, I haven't organized my stink'n coat closet yet. Another day I guess.

3 comments:

Lauri said...

Moving my bedroom is a great chance to renew, reduse, & recycle yeah!! I'm hoping that my husband gets into the act when he moves his clothes downstairs. He has a shirt from when we went on our honeymoon 9 YEARS AGO! The coat closet is a whole other day! BTW your "this" link about going to Target leads to nowhere....

Sara said...

My coat closet is having some serious issues...I guess with a bigger house you are not forced to be as organized...I actually have space to be messy:) UH, OH!

Julianna said...

Why are mini things always so cute?? I love the pictures of the house. Keep them coming!