7.6.09

A Week of Healthy Recipes!

Princess Pookie's Social calendar at a quick glance....





Baseball game (I love cotton candy! I ate too much~nasty film on teeth-yuck!), parade, Starbucks hot cocoa {peppermint}, Maritime festival, etc.....

AND...

This week of postings is dedicated to all you crazies who attend my Friday class.
Here's to you, your health and an occasionally sore tushie!!:D
Bon Appetit!
THIS cook book recommended.
More than once I have mentioned that I HATE (yes HATE) to cook and HATE (yes, HATE again) to grocery shop and REALLY HATE (did you get that? REALLY HATE!) to plan what to eat. However, having said that, my hubs gave me a really GREAT cook book (recommended by my Queen Sis~thanks!) that I am LOVING. Yes, LOVING. Note: I still hate to cook, shop, and menu plan! As much as I enjoy eating out, I would never have to eat out again if Mr. Chef magically appeared and cooked me HEALTHY, TASTY meals. In fact, I think I'd even consider going vegan if someone would do the cooking for me! Anyway, this week I am going to pull recipes from my new favorite cookbook to share with all of you. Remember, healthy eating can be an "acquired" taste. We get so used to eating salt and other icky additives. I hope you will step outside of your recipe box and try something new.

Speaking of vegan...
Portobello & Black Bean Quesadilla
Fat free flour tortillas (we love the ones from Costco you cook. Located in the refrigerator section~not fat free though.)
2 portobello caps, chopped
2 T light balsamic vinaigrette (Newman's is delicious!)
1 c. no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (2 oz) jar of diced pimiento drained
1 c. reduced fat preshredded Mexican cheese blend
1/4 c. thinly sliced green onions
Salsa and fresh chopped cilantro

Directions: Coat skillet with cooking spray. Add mushrooms; saute 2 min. or until tender. Add vinaigrette, beans and pimiento; cook 1 to 2 minutes stirring constantly until liquid evaporates. Mash it slightly with a potato masher.

Spoon about 1/3 c. mixture onto each tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, add onions and fold in half. Wipe skillet out, add more cooking spray and over medium heat cook quesadillas until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve with salsa and fresh cilantro. Viola!

For the most important course, serve this...
Broiled Pineapple
1 cored fresh pineapple or if you're lazy like me, pineapple chunks!
2 T melted butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. Sweetened coconut
Place pineapple slices on pan. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with sugar. Broil until sugar melts. Sprinkle coconut and broil until coconut is toasted. Serve with fat free vanilla frozen yogurt. YUM!
Do jumping jacks while waiting for pineapple to broil!:D
NOTE: A GOOD HEALTHY COOK BOOK WILL PROVIDE THE NUTRITIONAL INFO.

Turn your Manic Monday into a MARVELOUS one! See you tomorrow.

No comments: